Monday, March 8, 2010

Monday's Random Recommendation

What: Heading back to the classics

Why: I just finished Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" which I don't think I've read in probably 15 years, and, as I read it on my Kindle, I was able to "scribble" and highlight all over it (yay!!).

Say what you will, - yes, it is preachy and old fashioned - this book reminded me that sometimes old fashioned values are old-fashioned for a reason: They've been around for ever because they are a good idea.

It also has to do with the fact I'm cheap - oh look!! in the US I can download this book for free!! (even in France, where I am currently, I can download it for a much smaller fee than the latest novels which, I have to admit, some won't stand the test of time.) You might think, that as an Australian, the book being free in the US wouldn't affect my buying habits, but there you go.

I came away from the book with a tear (come on!!) and this righteous feeling that I'd read something good for me for a change. Not that I'm not reading at least 1 "good" book at any one time, but it was nice to read a story with some morals, even if they aren't necessarily mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment