Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday's Random Recommendation 15-Mar-10

Good morning!

I'm a big fan of The League of Reluctant Adults; they are one of the first blogs that I added to my favourites, and I blame them for my latest bout of overspending in a bookstore.

For starters, what an awesome name! If I were a cool and original person, I too would have come up with something that ingenious.

But, on top of that, they have a very witty, snarky view on Urban Fantasy, and as all of them are published, it's cool to read some interesting cross-promotion in the genre.

I, of course, am an advertising sponge, so this weekend I went and picked up the following LoRA authors:

Happy Hour of the Damned - Mark Henry
Tempest Rising - Nicole Peeler
Once Bitten, Twice Shy - Jennifer Rardin

and man, have they got attitude. I haven't finished Happy hour of the Damned yet, and I have to say, Amanda Feral is one scary Zombie... and not just cos she eats humans.

Tempest Rising, Nicole Peeler's debut novel, was great fun. I dig the heroine, and while some of the elements won't surprise you, there was some great scenes, and heaps of fun dialogue. can't wait for the next one Nicole, and I have to say her mouth wasn't nearly as potty as the blog lead me to believe! Yay for the introduction of a new kind of supernatural force (I'm not telling, go read the book), and the vampire isn't bad either.

Once Bitten Twice Shy is Jennifer Rardin's first book in the Jaz Parks series, and as you can imagine from the title, there's a vamp, or several. I like the kick-ass heroine, and the backstory has real meat to it, which is good.

Although none of these books have a strong mystery element - you pretty much know who the bad guy is within two lines of being introduced to him - they are strong introductions to the worlds, and are all good fun reads. I am particularly looking forward to the second books, which, in general allow the writer more scope for mysteries and intricacy in the stories.

All in all, if you are after a good, fun read from a group of up and coming urban fantasy writers, give this bunch a go... and definitely check out the site for some great cross-promotion and clever snarkiness.

that's all for now;

L.B.

After post note: Molly Harper is also a Reluctant Adult - her books - Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs, Nive Girls Don't Date Dead Men and Nice Girls Don't Live Forever are great urban (well, southern small town) fantasy escapes as well - and I could access them via international Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment