Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Greetings from Ulsan, South Korea

New Zealand's Lochmara Lodge
We always say be careful what you wish for, and be even MORE careful what you write down!
SB and I had a trip planned to come to Seoul in April for 4 days on our way to another destination, and in the manner of all the best laid plans, we got diverted via New Zealand instead. The trip was booked, paid for, and I'd gotten a little ahead of myself and marked South Korea off on my list of countries I'd visited...

Two of Seoul's many contrasts
So, the week after my holiday finished, off I tripped to South Korea for work!! I've been blessed to be here for some of the best weather of the year, and managed to see some stunning sights and experience some uniquely Korean moments.

One of the things I noticed while I was here how many expats have gone to the effort of making really cool blogs of their travels. I know that the basilisk's lounge is always going to be a book-based world, (hah! assuming I ever post!) but I'm thinking it doesn't hurt to add a little more "life" to this, especially since I've not finished much in the way of books this year!!


I'm currently smashing the latest Kate Daniels book "Magic Breaks" from Ilona Andrews - and have managed to keep up to date with Richelle Mead's Bloodlines's series with "Silver Shadows". Because these two series are just way too fabulous not to finish.

I also got stuck in and caught up on my Molly Harper, one of the first urban fanatsy authors I read, it was so cool to go back and catch up with the characters, and remember just how funny Ms. Harper truly is. Her latest "Better Homes and Hauntings" alternated between genuine "can't go to sleep right now because I'm terrified of the things that go bump in the night" and laugh out loud one liners -  the first chapter title and lines of the book is one of the best lines published this year:

"Chapter 1
Ignoring the Frantically Waving Red Flags

Beware all enterprises that start with the purchase of Crocs."

Find one better than that. I dare you.

One of the other activities taking up a heap of time normally dedicated to reading copious numbers of books has been the commencement of my fundraising campaign for Unicef Australia's Cycle For Kids Campaign 2015. I've started training, and more importantly, I've started fundraising. With a big fundraiser happening in just 2 weeks time, I'm mildly freaking out, and I'm hoping that all this half-assed effort is worth it.


How talented is RC?!?!

I've also instituted a swear jar at work, it's raised a heap of money, and I Think before I Swear Now!! Yes, cutting out the swearing altogether would be better... I'm working on it!

So, the moral, I'm going to start using this blog more, as a record of what I've read, where I've been and what my latest fundraising endevour is, so that I can look back on the last half of 2014 and be proud of everything I achieved.

If not, well, at least I procrastinated with something useful tonight!




















No comments:

Post a Comment