Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September is all but over...

So – yet another locale, and another post – this time, the Thayls somewhere between Paris and Brussels – and what a stunning evening it is! The sun is setting out the window and the visibility is gorgous. This week has been the best (driest and hottest!) we have had all summer, and it’ nearly the middle of autumn! Just stunning.

So anyway, what are we here for? Right, so still finding more and more Steampunk authors to fawn over – Lindsay Buroker continues to surprise and delight with her mix of fantasy and steampunk - not sure if I mentioned how impressed I was with The Emperor's Edge? I know I should have, but my laziness knows no bounds. I'm really enjoying the mixture in this author's writing - especially the Emporer's edge series and supporting novellas: really fantastically imagined world, heavy, bordering on gruesome imagery, and really fun heroines. Why can't I write sassy heroines like all you guys do!?! Sorry, I'll stop gushing. I recently finished Flash Gold which was the first of a new series aimed more at a yukon steampunk world than the fantastic word of the Emperors Edge series, which further goes to show Buroker's flexibility. This project again finds our heroine, a gal who is good with her hands (a mechanic, you dirty minded perv!) with a tall dark and handsome stranger who she can't trust - *sigh* can we ever trust the tall dark and handsome men of the world? In the rough and ready world of the dog-sled racing pioneers, our mechanical genius needs to race against the competitors, and a harem of assassins who are just dying to score some extremely powerful loot...

I notice there is another one out now, bless all the prolific authors in the world! if only because I admire Buroker's attitude towards publishing and the excellence, I would recommend it, but I have genuinely enjoyed reading all the stories, and while I'm sure an editor and publisher might smooth out the lines and ask the difficult questions on occasion (there are times I wish I could!) I think what Lindsay Buroker is doing is applaudable, not just the quality of the works, but also the methodology of the execution.

After My Buroker fest, Zoe Archer has been a great way to maintain some of the joy of steampunk, her Blades of the Rose quartet are fantastic escapism, and while a bit too much time is spent between the bedcovers (or behind trees, in enchanted streams, sail boat cabins, etc etc) for me to be able to call them literature, Archer's variety in location, the depth of the character and story development and the width of the mythology described has me hooked. Although her world building is not always consistent (it does my head in when her characters talk in today's parlance - which they do regularly), Archer's story telling is enjoyable and I can't fault her stunning descriptions of times and places. I'm looking forward to finishing the final installation in this series.

So what else has the Basilisk had a bookmark in lately?

Cameron Chapman's Aboard the Unstoppable Aerostat Fenris (The Steam & Steel Chronicles); man can I say I was shocked and awed by the conclusion of this novella - I dig it. I admire it, and I hope that the consistency is maintained, should there be more chronicles, as it's a brave brave author that does it.

JR Rain's Vampire for Hire series - I got through Moon Dance and Vampire Moon, and really enjoyed them, not sure I'm going to keep reading though - Samantha Moon is a pretty desperate queen of the night, her struggles to be a mom and carry on her evening existence is kinda heart-wrenching to read. I see great poteLinkntial for the series, which is 4 novels and several novellas strong, I'm just not sure I want to witness the suffering, sorry!

The latest from Kelley Armstrong - Spell Bound yay! we love Savannah!!

Smoking 17 from Janet Evanovich - and may I say, how exciting is it going to be to have Katherine Heigl playing Stephanie Plum in One for the Money - she could not be cast better.

So, that's it from me, nearly back in Rotterdam, from whence I trek back to Zoetermeer... yay!

LB

No comments:

Post a Comment