Friday, January 14, 2011

Wow - 2010 wrap-up

As in, "Wow, what a long time since I last posted."

What a year. Honestly, greatful that 2010 has been and gone, 2011 is looking exciting and as long as it has a bit less drama in it.

So, after 150 books last year, I should be able to post some memorable titles... I'm not going to Hyperlink them all cos that would be crazy talk...
Best of 2010 (in no particular Order):
  1. Kylie Chan's "White Tiger" Trilogy, and follow-up "Earth to Wudang" Trilogy - still waiting for Heaven to Wudang ahhh!!! it's killing me!!! Brush up on your chinese mythology, you're in for a ride here!
  2. Kelly Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" Series - These girls rock! Armstrong's books have been around for a while, so there are a lot of titles, which is great, although, reading backlog = not reading new books!!
  3. Patricia Briggs got in there with another Mercy Thompson book, yay! Everybody's favourite were-coyote misbehaving...
  4. Brent Weeks' "Shadow" Trilogy - it's intense fantasy, not really urban fantasy so doesn't fit this list, but if you haven't read them get in there (and if you think that the first book is a bit harsh on the female characters, have patience, Weeks' redeems himself!)
  5. Laura Gilman's "Retrievers" - I liked these books, but for some reason never really got into them... all the main characters are great, but I think maybe the tension got resolved too early? I wasn't convinced I needed to keep reading
  6. Richelle Mead's "Vampire Academy" and "Succubus" series - it was all great, and I am glad that "Last Sacrifice" wrapped up most of it... can't wait to see some new developments in the already planned spin-off...
  7. Nicole Peeler's "Tempest Rising" and "Tracking the Tempest" were really clever, I love Nicole's Blog, and she posts on The League of Reluctant Adults, so really, why isn't everyone reading these?? "Tempest's Legacy" is out, and again, on my "must read" list for 2011.
  8. Maria Snyder's "Study" series (make sure you buy the series as a single Kindle book!)
Best Debuts:
  1. Sonya Bateman's "Master of None" - I love the moral ethics of the main character in this book, he's so giggle-bad (Is that a description?). I'm keeping my eye out for more, but haven't seen them yet.
  2. Lauren Bickle's "Embers" - Can't wait to start "Sparks"! released recently! although, I'm miffed she got in before me with the mystical Salamander idea...
  3. Diana Rowland debuted with "Mark of the Demon" which was actually not what I was expecting, it took me a while to get into this one, but as soon as "Blood of the Demon" and "Secrets of the Demon" came out, I was there on Amazon buying them... I'm looking forward to seeing what next happens to our intrepid Demon summoner.
  4. Amber Benson (more famously known for being Tara on Buffy) released a couple of YA stunners, "Death's Daughter" and "Cat's Claw" which were really good fun, being death's daughter can be a biatch.
Anyway, I'm going to try and post some more detailed pieces from now on, and with my Shiny New Laptop (which isn't a Mac), that should be easier.

I'd apologise for the time between posts, but we all know that nobody's reading anyway

:-p

LB.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out on EMBERS! Salamander lovers have to stick together. ;-)

    ReplyDelete